DIE ARCHITECTURE DER HOCH-UND UNTERGRUNDBAHN IN BERLIN
Berlin: Der Zirkel, 1922. A profusely illustrated monograph on the first Berlin subway system, now referred to as the "U-Bahn." The system, which ran above and below ground, was built and operated by a private company, which inaugurated service in 1902 and continued until its sale to the city in 1929. Paul Wittig, who began his career as an architect, lead the company during this entire period. The first phase of development took place between 1897 and 1913. Wittig commissioned several architects for different parts of the system, but the Swedish architect Alfred Grenander was responsible for most of the notable design work. Grenader was employed on all types of structures, working predominantly in a Jugendstil fashion, although some neo-classical designs were also included. Wittig's massive and luxurious monograph celebrates the impressive accomplishments of the first phase of development at the point where work was about to resume again, but under much greater financial restraint. It provides impressive documentation of one of the most architecturally ambitious European public works projects of the early twentieth century. Scarce, OCLC locates only 8 copies, of which 4 in Germany and 3 in North America (Huntington, Michigan and Art Institute of Chicago). Folio (45 x 33 cm); 8 ff. + 26 + (2) + (4) + (5) +(4) + (4) + (5) + (4) + (3) + (2) pp. with text illustrations + 68 plates.
Original printed paper-covered boards with leather spine, worn; board edges repaired with heavy cloth tape; occasional light smudges in margins.
Other items of possible interest…